SPIRITUAL DIRECTION INFORMATION
WHAT IS SPIRITUAL DIRECTION?
Spiritual direction is a process that involves responding to God’s invitation to draw closer in relationship. In our busy lives, it can be difficult to notice God’s presence in our daily affairs. Spiritual direction is meant to help an individual notice, reflect, discern and discover where God is present and active in the everyday life and to make choices based on that awareness.
WHAT HAPPENS IN A SPIRITUAL DIRECTION SESSION?
During a session, the subject matter revolves around what has meaning and significance in the life of the person seeking spiritual direction (directee). It could be exploring a critical issue, different ways to pray, discerning life choices or a dream, or unpacking a longing that has persisted over time. The spiritual director remains present and companions the directee through deep listening, support, prayer, asking evocative questions and creating a safe space where one can openly and prayerfully explore where God is leading. The journey with a spiritual director takes place in a one-on-one setting and the conversation is confidential and held as sacred by the director.
HOW OFTEN DOES SPIRITUAL DIRECTION OCCUR?
Spiritual direction sessions are usually monthly appointments that last for an hour. The process of spiritual direction unfolds gradually over time and requires patience and commitment from the directee . Over the course of several sessions, you and the spiritual director determine whether you would like to continue the journey together in this special relationship.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPIRITUAL DIRECTION AND COUNSELING?
In general, counseling deals primarily with problem areas in one’s life and attempts to bring a resolution to these issues. Spiritual direction is not about giving the directee answers to life’s issues or addressing emotional or psychological issues. It involves the director prayerfully companioning the individual through attentive listening and offering questions that will help the person tap into one’s soul and connect with God.
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR:
1. Do I prefer a female or male spiritual director? Or is either fine?
2. From what denomination or faith tradition do I prefer my spiritual director to be?
3. How far am I willing to travel to meet with a spiritual director?
4. Would I be comfortable meeting “virtually” – via phone, FaceTime…etc?
5. How much can I afford to pay when meeting with a spiritual director for a session?
QUESTIONS YOU MAY WANT TO ASK THE SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR:
1. How would you describe the ministry of spiritual direction?
2. How would you approach offering spiritual direction?
3. How many years have you been offering spiritual direction?
4. How often do you typically meet with directees?
5. Where were you trained?
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT AS YOU REFLECT ON THE MEETING WITH THE SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR :
1. How did I feel in the meeting space? Did the setting feel comfortable to me?
2. What was the chemistry like between us?
3. What did I enjoy about my interaction with this spiritual director?
4. Was there anything I didn’t like about my experience?
5. Of those I’ve met with, who am I most drawn to?
If you are from The166 community and would like to find a trained spiritual director, please fill out this form below and someone will get back to you shortly.